Eden is a central computing system that students on Rutgers New Brunswick/Piscataway campus use for a variety of services, including publishing web pages and group accounts.
Eden can be used to:
- Send emails from a Student Organizational Account
- Read Rutgers related email sent to a Student Organizational Account through a web interface at https://webmail.eden.rutgers.edu
- Read Rutgers related email sent to a Student Organizational Account through an email reading program
- Publish web pages to a personal account or a Student Organizational account and Student personal accounts
- Documentation is available for help Publishing For The World Wide Web
- Develop dynamic webpages using the PHP programing language and MySQL Database
- Remotely map Eden account directories using WebDrive and Samba
- Remotely connect to the UNIX shell on Eden using SSH and SFTP
- Access to programing languages such as C, C++ and Java
All email and data on Eden accounts are backed up for an 8 week period. These backups are available/restorable by using the following online tools:
Students at the University can activate their Eden service by using the Services Activation Tool located at netid.rutgers.edu. A Student Organization may request an Eden account by going to: https://oit-nb.rutgers.edu/service/student-organizational-accounts
A University Sponsor may request a Guest Eden account by filling out the following online form: https://guest-netid.rutgers.edu
Students looking for a personal school email account should activate a ScarletMail Account
In addition to a Student Organizational account on Eden, Student groups my also use Google Groups through ScarletMail. Google Groups provide Student Organizations with the following services:
- Engage in discussions about a specific subject.
- Have a Group-based email address in the form of [GROUPNAME]-firstname.lastname@example.org with a Web-based interface for the Collaborative Group Inbox that automatically threads replies
- Organize meetings, conferences, or social events among members of a group using a shared Calendar.
- Have shared Calendars that can be accessed by members of a group
- Have shared Documents and file storage through Google Drive
- Have a shared website that can be accesed and maintained by members of the group
- Read group posts through email, the online interface, or both.
No special setup is required. For more information on Google Groups please read the Google Groups Servcies Page.
In order to activate an Eden account you must be a Student at the University.
Documenation on using Eden can be found at:
New Brunswick Computing Help Desk: (848) 445 - 4357