A departmental account on RCI is in most respects just like a personal account on RCI, with one important difference: it has no password of its own but instead uses the passwords of specific authorized users to access it. Consequently, anyone who is going to have access to the departmental account must have a personal RCI account. This means that students or non-Rutgers employees who do not have a faculty/staff status in the Rutgers Online Directory will not be able to work on this account, unless you obtain a guest account for them on RCI.
A departmental account may be used to allow multiple people in a department to share services on account with features that includes: e-mail addresses, websites, MySQL databases, SSH, and SFTP access.
To request a departmental account, the department or project head, department chair, director, or other appropriately responsible administrator should use the online form at
It will ask for the appropriate information and send a request automatically via e-mail.
Once the Departmental Account has been created please read:
In addition to a Departmental Account on Eden, Student groups my also use Google Groups through ScarletMail. Google Groups provide Student Organizations with the following services:
- Engage in discussions about a specific subject.
- Have a Group-based email address in the form of [GROUPNAME]-email@example.com with a Web-based interface for the Collaborative Group Inbox that automatically threads replies
- Organize meetings, conferences, or social events among members of a group using a shared Calendar.
- Have shared Calendars that can be accessed by members of a group
- Have shared Documents and file storage through Google Drive
- Have a shared website that can be accesed and maintained by members of the group
- Read group posts through email, the online interface, or both.
No special setup is required. For more information on Google Groups please read the Google Groups Servcies Page.
Departmental accounts can be requested from the appropriate Dean, Director, Department Chair, or the person in charge of a project or unit involved. This applicant must have an active faculty/staff role and needs to have an active RCI account.
All other users who are allowed access to the account need to have a RCI account too.
For students and other non-Rutgers employess who do not have a faculty/staff role, they will need to obtain a RCI guest account in order to have access to the departmental account.
This service is available to those with an active RCI account.
Questions and inquiries about RCI accounts can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Brunswick Computing Help Desk