The information in this document will cover the following:
- Where do I go to get the QWS3270 Secure software?
- Installing QWS3270 Secure software
- Recommended configuration settings for QWS3270 Secure
- Helpful Tips for Troubleshooting QWS3270 Functionality
- Contact information for any further questions
Note: Due to security updates on our mainframe systems the required supported Operating System for connecting using QWS3270 Secure is Microsoft Windows 7 and above.
Note:The QWS3270 emulator is no longer available on software.rutgers.edu. There is a a free client called Mochasoft TN3270 which is available on the software portal. Instructions on onstalling and setting up these programs can be found at:
- Downloading and Installing the TN3270 Emulator for RUtAdmin (Mac OS X)
- Downloading and Installing the TN3270 Emulator for RUtAdmin (Windows 7 and 8)
Unlike the QWS3270 program these programs do not support upload and download file capabilities. If you require upload or download file transfer capabilities, you will need QWS3270 which can be purchased directly from Jolly Giant.
Click Install Products
Click Install QWS3270 Secure
It will scan your computer for previous versions.
Click I Agree
Check both options Click Next
Type QWS3270 Secure Click OK
Fill out the following settings
Terminal Type the default is IBM-3278-2. This gets you a 4-color, 24 line by 80 column screen (the 24x80 screen is also know as Model 2, hence the ‘-2’ at the end). If you want 7-color (which gets you yellow, pink and turquoise in addition to red, green, blue and white), you need to tack a ‘-E’ onto the end. Thus, if you want 24x80 with 7 colors, choose IBM-3279-2-E. If you want more lines, you can choose a Model 3 (32 lines, indicated by the ‘-3’) or a Model 4 (43 lines, indicated by the ‘-4’). The Model 5 (‘-5) will give you additional columns, as well.
Fill out the following Security Options
File Transfer (Default)
File Transfer (Recommended Configuration)
This is the log on screen.
To log on you must use your;
Rutadmin User ID (Account number) and your Rutadmin Password
Cursor Blink Issue
When you are logged into in a session (either QWS3270 Secure or RUID test) and change the cursor so it is Solid instead of blinking it reverts back to a blinking cursor in subsequent sessions. Use this procedure to set the cursor permanently to Solid:
- Click on the QWS3270 Secure icon on your desktop
- When the session opens DO NOT select a session from the drop down. Click the Cancel button instead.
- Click on Options on the menu bar at the top and select Session
- Under Display on the Options List click Cursor on the left hand side
- In the two Cursor Style boxes click the Solid radio buttons under Normal Mode and Insert Mode at the top
- Click the Apply button on the lower right-hand side
The will permanently set the cursor to Solid.
Correcting the Faded Print Issue
Please note: Color will be spelled colour (Canadian spelling) throughout the program options
These instructions address faded print issues when printing a Rutadmin screen using QWS3270 Secure:
- In the menu bar at the top of the screen select Options
- From the drop down menu, select Session
- In the session menu, select Print, on the left hand side
- Go to the Colour Options box in the middle at the bottom of the screen
- Select Black & white
- Click the Apply button in the bottom right hand corner
- Click the OK button
QWS3270 Secure - Keymapping and Color Change Information
Customizing keyboard mapping and colors
- Click Options on the top menu bar
- Click Keyboard
- Highlight the key that you would like to change
- Click the Remap Key on the right
- From the drop-down menu, select the desired option
- Repeat for other keys you would like to change
- Click Options on the top menu bar
- Click Session
- Click Coloursunder the Display heading
- Select the colors you want to use
SecurID Card Management
Rutadmin Account Management
Secure 3270 Software Procurement
848-445-6950 x6034, x6048
Secure 3270 Installation Support