Create an account
Start Outlook by clicking on the Start button and navigating through the menus to Programs to select Microsoft Outlook. If this is your first time using Outlook, the wizard will guide you through the setup.
Select "Yes" and click Next
Select "Manually configure..." and click Next
Select "Internet E-mail" and click Next
- In the Your Name text field, enter your full name as you would want others to see it, such as "Jane Smith"
- The Incoming mail server (IMAP) should read rci.rutgers.edu (or for the Rutgers machine upon which you have an account.
- Enter your Rutgers e-mail address, e.g. email@example.com (If Outlook is being set up for a departmental account on RCI please use the Departmental Account name as the username.)
- The Outgoing mail server (SMTP) should read smtp.rutgers.edu.
- Under Logon Information, enter your Rutgers NetID in all lower-case letters
- Click on More Settings
Click on the Outgoing Server tab, and make sure that My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, and Log on using is checked. In the User Name field enter your Rutgers NetID.
Authorized users of departmental (on RCI) or organizational (on Eden) accounts should also enter their personal RCI or Eden NetIDs, and the case-sensitive password associated with each account, when sending e-mail.
That is, they should not use the departmental or organizational account name (with its associated special password) for sending, although it should be used for receiving mail from that account.
Click on the "Advanced" tab
- Make sure the Use the following type of encrypted connection pulldown menu has SSL selected for the Incoming server (IMAP) . The Server Port Number should automatically set itself to 993
- Use the pulldown menu for Use the following type of encrypted connection to select TLS for the Outgoing server (SMTP). (TLS is a form of SSL.) Make sure the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number is 25 or 587.
- Click OK and then Next
The account settings should have tested correctly.
Click Close and then on the next screen click Finish
The wizard should present you with a Congratulations dialog verifying your set up was successful. Click the Finish button and Outlook 2010 is ready to use on the Rutgers Network.