All faculty, staff, and students are assigned a Rutgers unique identifier known as a NetID, comprised of initials and a unique number (e.g. jqs23). In order to access many of the electronic services available to you at Rutgers, you need to activate your Rutgers NetID.
Service activation can be used to:
- Set your authentication password. This is the password you will use for most electronic services.
- Allows Students to setup your security questions and answers
- You can choose to select three questions and answers that will help you reset your password. Please note this is only available for students not employed by Rutgers University.
- Allows you to select services
- You can choose services for which you are eligible, including ScarletApps (Google for Rutgers), or locally provided email and website services.
- Establishes your Rutgers email address
- This is the email address to which Rutgers University will send official communications and notices.
- Allows you to choose where you would like your official Rutgers email delivered
- You can choose to have your Rutgers email address forwarded to a different account, or you can choose to use a Rutgers provided email service
Faculty, Staff or Students at the University you can activate their NetID by going to the NetID Activation Tool and filling out the NetID Activation online form. Their assigned NetID will appear on the activation screen and they will be able to set their password.
The following are eligible to activate a NetID.
- University Sponsored Guests